Have you ever scoured the internet & other blogs to discover all of these incredible finds people thrift? That accurately describes moi up until late last year. I thought I would never be able to obtain anything so good at a thrift shop. I mean finding a super cute dress for $3? That fits or needs minor alterations? Never. Pah. Well, I’m here to tell you, from an old doubter to a thrift finding mad woman, it’s completely possible. It just requires a few tips & tricks of the trade that I wish someone had shared with me many years ago.
- Be Patient! Although you wish they would, good finds will not jump out at you. They require a little bit of search & explore. They like to be discovered, as if you are a pirate searching for treasure. Instead of looking at a full thrift shop as a daunting task to look through everything, glance over the store and visualize it as a hunt or a game. The prize is out there, it’s just waiting to be found! Play hide & seek with the shop.
- Let your mind be free. Stop thinking and start dreaming. Instead of barely glancing at a piece and thinking, “ugh this is hideous. This whole thrifting thing is hopeless…” think again. Take that piece in for what it was made for – it was designed for a reason, & by someone who loved it & the idea of it. Could you find the love in it?
- Discover & create. Transform that shapeless garment into something new & fresh. For example, I recently found this tent dress at a local thrift shop:
- Visualize what’s in your closet and see how the piece would fit in.See that red dress up there? I’d been searching for a red dress forever. I wanted a vintage feel, but I knew the tent was completely unflattering on a curvy gal like myself. So, I thought about what I had at home that could make this work. I decided to take the plunge and purchase this baby – for a whopping $5. Lo & behold, the item I had at home worked perfectly with this dress, and transformed it into something I would’ve never dreamed of. Check out this ugly little tent dress in it’s new state…a perfect, vintage style a-line dress with puffy princess sleeves.
- Last but not least – have fun! Thrifting is all about being creative & having fun doing it. Sure, you will stumble upon some really crazy pieces, but the real gems are there, waiting for you to find them. Lose yourself in the endless racks of clothing & accessories instead of letting it overwhelm & drown you. Let go – you’ll discover the magic in thrifting.